Cytology Society of Uganda is a scientific nonprofit organization of professionals who are concerned with research and practice of Clinical Cytology in Uganda.
A cancer free, healthy and productive population of Uganda.
To promote and maintain high standards of care through cancer screening and excellence of diagnostic cytology in Uganda and beyond.
- To unite all practitioners of Diagnostic Cytology in Uganda.
- To encourage and enable members of The Society to provide the best possible standard diagnostic Cytology services.
- To establish, promote and maintain high standards of the practitioners’ integrity and the science of diagnostic Cytology in Uganda.
- To foster exchange of ideas on scientific concepts of cytology, on interpretation and reporting of cytodiagnosis findings and on technical aspects in regards to the practice.
- To provide continuous professional development training to Cytology practitioners in Uganda for the purpose of acquiring or renewing their practicing licenses.
- To promote collaboration and enter such agreements with Medical, Allied Health or other specialty organizations globally as shall be deemed necessary for the purpose of attainment of all or any of the objectives of The Society.
- To represent the interests of Cytology Practitioners before technical state regulatory bodies and ministries.
Training of cytotechnologists started in 2011 with an intake of six. The curriculum was reviewed and accredited by National Council for Higher Education in 2022 and the profession was recognized by Allied Health Professionals Council. The profession is united under the Cytology Society of Uganda which was formed in 2017 and registered with Uganda Registration services Bureau (Registration No. 80020002492775)